Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inter-Integrated Circuit(I2C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K Srinivas Pavan Kumar

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anybody say me what are the advantages of I2C (Inter Integrated Circuit)protocol

Hi,

surely you have read a lot about I2C and other serial interfaces.

Now your question is very general. Please specificly ask what is not clear for you.

In what kind doyou need the advantage? Compared to what other interfaces?

Klaus

Compared with SPI: I2C is slower (100kHz ~ 400kHz tops), SPI could be faster (1 MHz or more), I2C uses only 2 wires, SPi uses 3 or 4 wires commonly.

compared with RS232(UART): I2C is synchronous, UART is asynchronous, I2c can have a lot of devices in the bus, RS232 is only peer to peer (2 devices per 'bus')

compared with RS485(UART): I2C can have multiple masters, RS485 there can be only one master, I2c is for small distances (1m or less mostly for a single PCB), RS485 is for higher distances (up to 1Km in a well balanced line)

Status
Not open for further replies.