Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

integration of active devices in hfss

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhaykotnala

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss on active device

i want to integrate my patch antenna with diodes lioke varactor gunn diodes

is it possible in hfss nd if yes how ....plzzsz help
is there ny other way we can integrate these active devices with the patch and simulate it

hfss passive simulation

Hello abhaykotnala,

It should be possible with HFSS & Designer co-simulations...

But I tried similar problem in AWR Microwave Office (MWO) with EM Patch atenna & Varactor Diode it is working fine...
Bassically I used Patch as a subcircuit on the schematic & then placed Varactor Diode model & plotted the required measurements as shown in the picture...

---manju---

could u plz tell me how we do it in hfss..as u said using designer co simulation.....what should be the procedure after i have made my patch antenna

nd thanks for helping me

hfss is a passive structure simulator, anything active has to be inserted as an active circuit model in Designer.

:cry:

I suggest it's better that you do it with ADS(Advanced Design System) software sinse it has active and passive elements together

you have to use circuit simulator (ADS) to simulate the circuit with active components by importing results from the full-wave simulator.

The only way to embed active devices into an HFSS passive model is to perform dynamic co-simulation through a dynamic link in Ansoft Designer. If properly set, this kinda simulation provides high accuracy. I work on amplifiers using this system and it works well. I always get a good aggreement between measurements and simulation using this method.
Where u want to connect an active device into HFSS, a good choice is to place lumped ports and connect them to ur active device in Designer. Import an HFSS-model by adding a new subcircuit in Ans. Des.. It would be better if u upload the file and S matrix of ur active device. I could try to have a look at ur file and to fix the model.

Ivan

thanku ivan very much it nice of u ill soon upload my file that is to be inegrated with active devices i have no idea of ansoft designer..

Re: hfss passive simulation

Hello abhaykotnala,

It should be possible with HFSS & Designer co-simulations...

But I tried similar problem in AWR Microwave Office (MWO) with EM Patch atenna & Varactor Diode it is working fine...
Bassically I used Patch as a subcircuit on the schematic & then placed Varactor Diode model & plotted the required measurements as shown in the picture...

---manju---

can u give me the varacter diode model so that I can get an idea how to do the modelling.Actually I'm working with GUNN diode but I am still not being able to model it in ansoft designer and integrate it to my patch antenna.
thanks in advance!

Hello Rajarshi,

Here is the simple model for Varactor Diode “bby58-02V” , the model is based data file
The data file includes capacitance data on the first row and voltage data on the second.

Save this as txt file & read into MWO or any tool
This example is available form AWR
**broken link removed**

Regarding GUNN Diode... I created a Tunnel Diode model in AWR MWO long back, it was working upto expectations...

---manju---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back