Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

integrated battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnnedaboard

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have to make a circuit that can load up to 8 mobile devices (apple, android ...)

I wanted to know if there is an integrated that simplifies my life, which indicates even when the device is in charge ....

thank you in advance.

Hi,

Not much information.
I say: Yes.

Klaus

Mobile phones generally have built-in chargers (ie, the circuit that manages the charge), externally you would connect only one power source. There is no "intelligence" in these wall adapters.

There is probably some proprietary protocol for each phone that provides charge information, but I would doubt that would be available to the public.

Hi,

the OP doesn´t tell much.
What are these 8 "mobile devices" and what interfaces, what connectors and what standard do they use?
Apple --> is a manufacturer, it is no "device"
Android --> is an operating system, no "device"

Klaus

Mobile phones generally have built-in chargers (ie, the circuit that manages the charge), externally you would connect only one power source. There is no "intelligence" in these wall adapters.
Sorry to contradict Andre but some do have more than one output voltage, decided by pull-up or pull-down resistors in the mobile devices USB connector. More 'programmability' than intelligence.

I agree though that for the vast majority of devices, if not all, a common rail supplying many devices is all that is needed, the individual devices will regulate what they need.

Brian.

Hi,

Now Brian talks about USB .... the OP does not....

But USB charging ports and their interface and protocol is well specified.
If the OP wants to know about USB charging ports I recommend to read the specification.

Klaus

Manufacturers create so many different plug designs for devices. I think their purpose is to make it difficult for customers to do anything to make the batteries explode or start fires (which news reports frequently mention about Li-on type).

There are a couple options but they are not easy of success:

a) Cut off plug and wiring to original charger that came with device. Splice it to your own charger. This requires extreme care. Even if you succeed, device can no longer be charged from its designed charger. You must carry your multiple charger along on trips. And you must keep it operating because if a key component breaks then you can no longer charge any of your devices.

b) Shop for duplicate plug. It must have exact same dimensions as original plug which fits device. Expense may be high.
Sources you can try include manufacturer direct mail, manufacturer brand store, Radio Shack, Ebay, Amazon, electronics supply mail order, etc.
Success may be impossible unless it's a widely-used standard type.

Status
Not open for further replies.