Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

insufficient memory in pic 16f877a

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolaiKannan

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am having problem with memory space available in the pic i have chosen.

i have to store atleast 40KB of data and the pic supports only 8KB.

can anyone provide me a nice solution

Oh, that sucks :)

Aside from trying to implement computationally inexpensive compression/data packing strategies (such as run-length encoding, throwing away unnecessary data precision etc) there's only one other practical solution - choose another device!

(Unless you've got enough spare IO pins and don't need any speed whatsoever, in which case you *can* attach an external [FLASH/EEPROM] memory and write some driver functions to read/write data. Parallel devices are greedier on IO but will offer higher speeds, whereas serial (such as I2C EEPROMS) devices will be excruciatingly slow, but frugal on IO... I've used both approaches in the past, but the PIC family is sufficiently large and diverse now that choosing another device is probably the best option!)

i am having problem with memory space available in the pic i have chosen.

i have to store atleast 40KB of data and the pic supports only 8KB.

can anyone provide me a nice solution

uC support up to 14KB!
368bytes RAM
256bytes EEPROM

PIC16F877

Solution:

Change and optimize code to be smaller. Maybe you need other uC. Look some optimization in compiler when compile source.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.