Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Instrumentation Amplifier

Jadeit

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have in front of me a circuit in which the instrument amplifier is assembled from three amplifiers in the LM324AD,
resistors are SMD 1 or 0.1% accuracy.+12V power supply, the gain can be adjusted with a multi-turn trimmer 5k in the range of 60 to 600.
The amplifier reads the two input voltages ( over 400mV, 2V max) and amplifies the difference for the 14-bit ADC, which reads it approximately 1x per second.
Real temperature range is 0-35C , extended -10-45C

I would like to simplify the circuit, i.e. replaced by instrumentation amplifier in SO8.
A +5V power supply would be enough, the price should not differ much from the current solution and, above all, I would like the amplifier to be commonly available in the long term.
What instrument amplifier would you recommend?

Hi,

if I had to do the job, I´d go to the internet site of my electronics distributor and use the selection guide.

Klaus

Precisely, reason OP is asking for IA I gather, as they are laser trimmed on production
line (most), :

An example of CMR performance :

1706213578434.png

Regards, Dana.

I have in front of me a circuit in which the instrument amplifier is assembled from three amplifiers in the LM324AD,
resistors are SMD 1 or 0.1% accuracy.+12V power supply, the gain can be adjusted with a multi-turn trimmer 5k in the range of 60 to 600.
The amplifier reads the two input voltages ( over 400mV, 2V max) and amplifies the difference for the 14-bit ADC, which reads it approximately 1x per second.

I would like to simplify the circuit, i.e. replaced by instrumentation amplifier in SO8.
A +5V power supply would be enough, the price should not differ much from the current solution and, above all, I would like the amplifier to be commonly available in the long term.
You can refer to INA128: low noise, rail-to-rail output, wide gain range (1 to 1000), good temperature stability. An external resistor may be required to set the gain.

An IC instrumentation amplifier typically contains closely matched laser-trimmed resistors, and therefore offers excellent common-mode rejection. Examples include INA128, AD8221, LT1167 and MAX4194.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: