Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Instruction Cycles to execute a variable

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaswat

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on 16 bit micro-controller (MSP430f67791A) and using IAR compiler. My question is that someone tell me that in a 16 bit micro-controller, if you take a 8bit variable then the CPU would take more instruction cycle to execute it rather than a 16 bit variable.

After his words, I was totally confused and tried to find out on web but didn't find anything.

Does anyone have any idea about this??

MSP430 has instructions with byte access, they have the same number of instruction cycles indicated in the family reference as word accesses.

You could still consume more instruction cycles for byte varianbles if the compiler needs/wants to "transcribe" some byte operations by multiple instructions. Check the compiler listings if this is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back