Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inside a 2.4GHz 1/2 wave dipole antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

robismyname

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If I were to remove the casing around one of those 2.4Ghz 1/2 wave dipole antennas would I see the attached?

36_1339742017.png

I ask because I removed the casing long time ago and I recall seing just a piece of thin coax, there was not two element as they show in antenna text books and my attached file.

So my question is can you have a dipole 1/2 wave without it looking like the attached design diagram just using a piece of coax?

If I were to remove the casing around one of those 2.4Ghz 1/2 wave dipole antennas would I see the attached?

36_1339742017.png

I ask because I removed the casing long time ago and I recall seing just a piece of thin coax, there was not two element as they show in antenna text books and my attached file.

So my question is can you have a dipole 1/2 wave without it looking like the attached design diagram just using a piece of coax?

I'm not sure what you mean by "remove the casing".

There is a antenna called a sleve dipole, where the braid of the coax runs back along the cable, so you will see only one wire.

There are loads of very poorly designed antennas on the market. In fact, in the consumer / low-end professional, I would put the figure at 95% or so. As such, I would not take too much notice of what you see in a commerical antenna.

Deborah

A balun as discussed in this thread https://www.edaboard.com/threads/248079/ gives better results (suppressing the cable waves involved with the simple asymmetric dipole connections). On the other hand, a usual λ/4 rod with too small ground plane isn't much better.

I'm not sure what you mean by "remove the casing".
Deborah

Let me explain. Please see attached images of a 2.4GHz dipole antenna. They are also know as rubber duck antennas because the "black casing/covering" is made from some hard rubber type material.

What i was trying to say was that when I removed the black covering that I did not find what I believed to be a 1/2 wave dipole configuration it was just a length of thin coax wire. Since it says that it is a dipole antenna I was expecting to see a center feed point with a left and right radiator (similar to the image I attached to the initial post). It should be like image I attached in the initial post if it is a 1/2 wave dipole correct?

I think dipole isn't but a wrong usage of terms. These antennas are simple monopoles, only connecting the RPSMA center pin. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

P.S.: It may be the case, that the antennas are actually sleeve dipoles as metioned before. made of a coax cable with the sheet cut in the middle and a full length center conductor.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back