Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Input with a lot of "don't care" : if...elsif or array ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunflare

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I need to encode in vhdl a list given to me in the following format (first element of each line is the input, and the second in the output)

Code:
0000000-----0--0-0- , 0
111000110-000--0-0- ,3
The table has about 3000 elements, many of them with multiple "don't care"
The input is 19bit wide, but even after expanding the '-' I only use 30k or so of the 500k possibilities. Note that I can't change the input format.

I use a python script to parse this list and write the corresponding vhdl code, but now I'm stuck with two possibilities. I first thought about expanding all the '-' and write the whole table as an array, but I'm concerned about spending so many ressources : starting from 3000 lines I finish with a 19bit memory.
The second option would be to use an if...elsif construct and std_match() functions , but I've never used it with so many input bits. Will the synthetiser generate 3000 comparators with a huge mux ? If so I'm not sure I'll see any gain from the array option.

What's your opinion on this ? Right I'm leaning for the second option, but I'm not sure of the result

Thanks in advance

You could used case/when VHDL keyword.
case your_bus
when 0000000----0000=>a<= 3;
when .....
End case
Pretty simple to transform from the list provided. And the synthesis tool will made the reduction.

Are you sure about this ?
I thought the case instruction didn't allow for "don't cares" in the input and that only a if...elif with std_match() could do it.

sure the don't care is allowed.

Code:
case your_bus
when 0000000----0000=>a<= 3;
I think, you are referring to the new VHDL 2008 "matching case statement" feature.

It uses a case? keyword. There's no don't care case construct in pre-2008 VHDL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back