Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

INDUCTOR CHOKE WINDING

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajudp

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
please help me for winding inductor with transformer laminations. i got some calculations from some books but the value is not comming according to the calculation .( Too far for 4H it is comming .98H like that)
please Help

Inductance is directly proportional to N² ..
So, without going into detailed calculations, if at this moment you have for a given number of turns ≈1H and you need 4H, use twice as much turns as now, and if necessary, reduce the diameter of wire so you can fit it on the bobbin ..

Regards,
IanP

Thanks , but i need the calculations because only for this choke i wasted so many copper and time. i made 4 chkes with different turns and gaps. but nothing give the correct value. to increase value i have to change core and i dont know which one to select

Perhaps you have the wrong AL value for the core. Or maybe you are seeing high core loss, or high copper loss, or core saturation at your measurement frequency. Be sure you are operating the inductor below its resonance.

Do you have an impedance analyzer that can measure the inductor's complex impedance over a range of frequencies? Does it reveal any clues?

It is really very complicated to design and make a inductor choke as you experienced. But fortunately, in general, we do not need a so accurated inductor choke value.

When design and winding the inductor, do you know well the characteristics of the core you have? This is the most common mistake when self-making inductor. If you do not know, so you have to make some experiments to find them out.

On the other hand, how do you measure its inductance? Remember that its inductance is strongly dependent on frequency, current/voltage. To get its value, it is the best you measure when applying the inductor choke into the circuit with the same working/designing condition.

One more thing, you should squeeze the core (if you use the EI core) in the adequate condition when experimenting.

nguyennam

Link is for Air Core ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back