Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Increase transmission distance of CAT-5 cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

cawan

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, is it possible to reduce the transmission rate in CAT-5 cable from 10/100MB to 1MB, so the transmission distance can be increased respectively ?

Hi ,

For incresing transmission distance in 10/100 CAT5 cable u can use extra hub thats is good, but reducing transmission ratio from 10/100MB to 1 MB is not possible.

mitesh said:
Hi ,

For incresing transmission distance in 10/100 CAT5 cable u can use extra hub thats is good, but reducing transmission ratio from 10/100MB to 1 MB is not possible.

For increasing transmission distance, do not use hub, but small (low cost) Ehernet switches ....

I think that the distance is mostly determined from the carrier sensing time slot.
If it is used for point to point communication.
The distance could be much longer than the IEEE 802.3 spec.

If that is a real professional design I would sugesst you use stubs to do matching of CAT-5 if you want an exotic solution of increasing the length of a CAT-5 line length. Theory with stub matching as far as I know stands.

Do not use a switch but use a hub. The theory in hub is that, the more link you put, the speed will be reduce. Maximus speed is speed of hub say 10mb divided by total links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back