Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Implementing USB-To-UART on PMIC32

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTZ4

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i have a PIC32 USB starter kit 2 and i need to implement a simple USB-To-UART,
Got lost a bit, especially in the USB I\O, what are the functions i should use for this simple implementation?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Why you dont want to use FDTI chips? FDTI 232R claims up to 3Mbps and the UART Max baud rate is 10Mbps (PBCLK = 40MHz, BRGH = 1, BRG value = 0)

Well... i ask myself the same question, but it's not my choice to do so.
Do you have any tips for me?

More specifically: i want to transmit BYTE by BYTE from USB directly to UART and vice verse.

So your system will work with driver?
I guess you can use USB communications device class (or USB CDC)
There is another way. The major OSs support the CDC (Communication Device Class) protocol on their USB stack to use RS-232C communication. It enables PC to access the CDC device through virtual COM port, without developing own driver.
**broken link removed**

The CDC specification has been developed to answer the need of telecommunication services (devices that have traditionally terminated an analog or digital telephone line), and medium speed networking services ("Always Connected" LAN/WAN media types) and is ideal for devices such as, Mobile Phones, Analog/ADSL/Cable Modems, analog/digital telephones Wireless Terminals, Ethernet Adaptors as well as Legacy and other network devices.

The CDC USB Driver support the following subclasses: ECM, NCM, ACM, OBEX, Device Management.

- - - Updated - - -

Another method without driver
is HID class
http://www.lvr.com/hidpage.htm

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.microchipc.com/sourcecode/

Thank you, That was my direction, i think i'll use the USB CDC as you suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.