Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Implementing 4-ASK on NI-USRP 2920 - DC offset problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muhammed Ashraf Hussien

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dears
I am implementing a 4-ASK Tx Rx using the NI USRP 2920 SDR

The problem is that the symbol map for the 4-ASK is as follows (This is the implementation of NI Modulation toolkit) :
0+0i for 00 symbol
0.333+0i for 01 symbol
1+0i for 10 symbol
0.6667+0i for the 11 symbol

This means we have a DC offset for the signal. I found that when I received the signal there is some sort of a non linearity in this DC offset that caused a faulty symbol detection (since the constellation is totally smeared in a non uniform way from the beginning of the packet to it's end) find attached image for more clarification.
4-ask.jpg
My questions are as follows :
1 - Why did this happen ? is it the DC offset that made saturation for the amplifiers ? kindly help me with an explanation

2 - for an Amplitude shift keying modulation , do I have to remove the DC offset before RF upconversion ? and if I removed it , in this case the 2-ASK will be similar to BPSK.

3 - I am using the Maximum Likelihood detection for converting symbols to bits , but this acts like a various threshold , it worked fine with the 2-ASK with a DC offset , but for the 4-ASK as shown in the image attached it didn't work because of the various thresholding. Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance
Best Regards
Muhammed Ashraf

Status
Not open for further replies.