Status
Not open for further replies.

Vickzz

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there.

I have a problem concerning the "CPW" component in ADS. It lies under the TLines-Waveguide library.

I have a 5.8 GHz microstrip patch antenna designed in ADS Schematic Editor. A screenshot of the microstrip schematic is shown in this picture:

Problem: I was trying to convert the microstrip antenna layout to an ungrounded Coplanar Waveguide antenna (in which the ground layer lies on the sides of the top patch layer).
However, it seems that I am incorrectly implementing the CPW component in the schematic editor. The reason being that I'm getting exactly the same result as the microstrip one. And also the CPW schematic that I have made, does not make sense to me logically. A screenshot of the CPW schematic is shown here:

Additional Info:
Dielectric constant (Er) = 3.2
Substrate thickness (h) = 0.125 mm
Loss tangent (tanD) = 0.0019
Operating frequency (fc) = 5.8 GHz
Characteristic impedance (Zo) = 50\[\Omega\]
Using LineCalc in ADS, for 50\[\Omega\] CPW, width (W) & gap (G) are = 0.12 mm and 0.01 mm respectively

If anyone could show/tell me how to correctly use the CPW, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

using a circuit simulator will not take into account the effects of the transitions between different transmission line types. As far as the solver is concerned whether it's cpw or microstrip it sees 50 ohms (assuming they both have correct dimensions). Ground in a circuit solver is ideal.
A 2.5D solver like sonnet would take it into account.

reidintransit, yes, both are roughly 50 ohms. Are you completely sure about what you said about the circuit solver giving the same results in both cases?

I do have Sonnet as well; which I intend to use for the final design. However because Sonnet takes a considerable amount of time to run simulations, that's why I wanted to get a rough idea regarding the size of CPW lines needed to obtain the desired results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…