Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Impedence determination of a given mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajaram04

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello sir

I want to know about the practical methods to determine impedence of any microphone no matter it is condencer type or dynamic one but i need very homely circuit arrangments for that . . please help

Seriously speaking, I don't see a particular need to measure microphone impedances because they are mostly well specified. But it's possible of course. The microphone output signal will be reduced to 50 percent if you load it with it's output impedance (impedance matching case).

For an accurate measurement, you'll use an audio frequency signal generator, a known series resistance, and an AC millivoltmeter or oscilloscope.

Seriously speaking, I don't see a particular need to measure microphone impedances because they are mostly well specified. But it's possible of course. The microphone output signal will be reduced to 50 percent if you load it with it's output impedance (impedance matching case).

For an accurate measurement, you'll use an audio frequency signal generator, a known series resistance, and an AC millivoltmeter or oscilloscope.

okk got it , so please what to do next after getting all these devices ????

A condenser mic needs an external 48V to bias its diaphragm. Maybe you have a more modern electret mic that is a condenser mic with the high voltage permanently set in its electret material and it has a built-in Jfet impedance reducer. Its impedance is about 3.3k ohms but the resistor that powers it is effectively in parallel so the total impedance is about 2.5k ohms.

A dynamic mic has a cone, coil and magnet like a little loudspeaker. Its impedance is from 150 ohms to 1200 ohms but is usually 600 ohms.

The output levels of different mic types are low and are about the same. They need a preamp.

A condenser mic needs an external 48V to bias its diaphragm. Maybe you have a more modern electret mic that is a condenser mic with the high voltage permanently set in its electret material and it has a built-in Jfet impedance reducer. Its impedance is about 3.3k ohms but the resistor that powers it is effectively in parallel so the total impedance is about 2.5k ohms.

A dynamic mic has a cone, coil and magnet like a little loudspeaker. Its impedance is from 150 ohms to 1200 ohms but is usually 600 ohms.

The output levels of different mic types are low and are about the same. They need a preamp.

ohh kk i see . . so recommend a good preamp.circuit of your own for such modern 600 ohms condencer mic please . . thanks for the info

Maybe instead of a condenser mic you have an electret mic that has 3 wires. Its output impedance is about 600 ohms because the output is from the source of the Jfet. The higher output impedance of a 2-wires electret mic is from the drain of the Jfet.

A preamp is simply a non-inverting audio opamp with a gain of about 200.
Here is one for a 2-wires electret mic:

Attachments

• electret mic.JPG
    electret mic.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Electret mic preamp.PNG
    Electret mic preamp.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 96

Maybe instead of a condenser mic you have an electret mic that has 3 wires. Its output impedance is about 600 ohms because the output is from the source of the Jfet. The higher output impedance of a 2-wires electret mic is from the drain of the Jfet.

A preamp is simply a non-inverting audio opamp with a gain of about 200.
Here is one for a 2-wires electret mic:

ya i can understand & thanks for the diagram

& i have only 2 terminal condencer mic for now so i ve to work with itnself only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back