Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IGBT, HEXFET or something another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seyyah

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hexfet microcontroller

I need your help to choose power component for a dc motor control project. DC motor is a small one and operates at 48VDC. I think it draws less than 5A. I'll control it using a microcontroller. I couldn't decide which power component to use. I'll use a full bridge topology. What do you suggest me for this purpose. An integrated solution is also welcome which eliminates short circuit of upper and lower switches, easy to connect to a 5V micro, low losses etc.

Just a little question:
What`s mean this abbr: "HEXFET"
Seems, FET - field eff. trans.
But what`s HEX?

try out

hi,

IGBT (ISOLATED GATE BIPOLAR TRNASISTOR) IS BATTER SOLUTION THE YOU ARE USING VARI SPEED LOAD THEY PROVIDE ISOLATION FROMDRIVEN INPUT AND LOAD TO DRIVE AND CONTROLL HIGH CURRENT WITH LOW HEAT DESIPATION, OTHER IS L298 BUT IGBT IS BEST USE LIKE HEX DRIVE

Hello All,
IGBTs are more efficient for high voltage switching and more rugged than FETs but are slower, more expensive and a bit more harder to drive.
For 5A and 48V I would use FETs.
You could use HEXSense FETs to sense motor current.
Anyway you could see International Rectifier's TPAP-4 "IGBT Fault Current Limiting Circuit" for a scheme to protect motor and semiconductors.

Best Regards

For vlotage smaller than 100V, MOSFET are the first choise; they have small Rds(on) and a ultra fast intrinsic reverse diode, so they r low cost.

for high voltages like 300V and upper, IGBTs are the best choise for their small voltage drop, but they have not intrinsic diode so manufacturers co-pakage an ultra fast diode with them, reverse diode of mosfets in this range of voltage normally have a bad charactristic, like large Trr and low dv/dt which make them a bad option for inverters and motor drivers.

about the drivers: today the best solution for mosft/igbt driver is HVIC driver, they r integrated drivers capable to drive/protect several mosfet/igbt.

for your application u can use one of HIP408X driver from intersil.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I think HIP4082 is the best option for your application.

about the HEXFET:
HEXFET is the trademark of International Rectifier for their mosfet, this name was chosen because the top view of the mosfet consist of a large number hexagonal cell.
other manufacturer have their own trade marks like mospower from siliconix, and TMOS from motorola (NOW onsemiconductor).

though they name their product , they are Double Diffusion MOSFET (DDMOSFET) or Vertical MOSFET (VMOSFET) based on IR's HEXFET Technology.

BEST !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back