Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Idea for a TCP/IP time server

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone know of some server that can return the exact time on internet. I want to build a wall clock that will be connected to internet and will always show accurate time. Since the clock will be based on a microcontroller, I cant use any existing utilities that run under Windows and keep time synchronized.

Thanks for the links C-Man. It sure gives me a starting point for the search. But I wonder why people make simple things difficult. All there is need is that if I send a querry to an IP address:pORT number, it responds with current time. What is the need to make difficult protocols and pages and pages written on this small task.

It could be easy to implement in uC by TCP/IP or UDP/IP if you use the Daytime Protocol (RFC 867) or Time Protocol (RFC 868).
Only the time code format is needed to image with the time server as C-Man's post
(time code format could be a bit different with RFC).
Just connect to server (port=13) via TCP, then receive the time code (ASCII format) back. That'all.
(the server listens TCP port 13, once connection is established, send out current date/time and close the connection)
You could make a simple test as:
telnet://time.nist.gov:13/

FYR

fantastic. Thanks Yager. This is exactly what I wanted. couldn't get simpler than this. And I tried some servers listed in the NIST site. All of them respond with the similar reply.

Re: TCP/IP time server

Hi!

I am very interested with the Wall Clock project. I would like to make one myself.

Can technie briefly tell me what are the steps to make my very own internet clock?

I here thank you in advance.

MJamesW said:
Hi!

I am very interested with the Wall Clock project. I would like to make one myself.

Can technie briefly tell me what are the steps to make my very own internet clock?

I here thank you in advance.

Run an application that listens to port 13 and returns date/time (of you PC) in format as requested by RFC's then immediately close the connection.

How hard is it?

Now your PC clock will never be accurate. As time goes by you will see your PC clock goes fast or slow.

Please check the book : TCP/IP Lean by Jeremy Bentham at Chapter Miniature Web Server. You can find al the information.

Good Luck.........

Check the site:

**broken link removed**

It is possibl to download the schematic and the source code.

Also check it's documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back