Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC fabrication during the 1960s to 1970s

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitchElectronics

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have spent some time now (at least a month), trying to find out how chips where fabricated from the 60's and 70's. I know all of the steps including lithography to layer removal etc but what I cant find is the type of equipment they used to expose the silicon. Is there any documentation that explains in great detail how these devices where manufactured?

What I really want to know is what light source they used, their mask size and how they projected an image down?

Many thanks all!
Robin

Then optical shadow printing was used, either by contact printing or proximity printing. Light sources were Xenon or Mercury short-arc UV lamps. The exposure tools were manually controlled (later automatic) steppers, using step-and-repeat projection, either 1:1 , or with 4:1 .. 10:1 demagnification masks.

You might find some answers in the book Fundamentals of Semiconductor Manufacturing and Process Control by May & Spanos, chap. 2.1.2.1. Exposure Tools , pp. 35 ff.

Still available tools you can find e.g. here: mask aligners, exposure tools, and remanufactured equipment, partly with pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back