Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I/O standards in spartan 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ummar

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
Can anybody tell me what is the purpose of I/O standard attribute in spartan- 3

Hi Ummar,
As you know some hardware units uses 5Volts and 0Volts levels for I/O. Thats means that the signal travels out from the unit with the logic '1' equals 5 volts and logic '0' as zero volt. However, many encodings are availble such as Manchester encoding, NRZ, HDB3 encoding etc..

For spartan it just changes the voltage levels of 1's and 0's, i.e some I/O standards uses 2.5 Volts for logic '1' and voltage below 0.8 Volt for logic zero.

To summarize, the I/O attribute for spartan-3 defines the voltage levels that represent 1's and 0's. Now read the datasheet to choose an appropriate voltage level.

Best wishes,
Sameh Yassin

Actually i am using a 5 V pci card with a 3.3V spartan 3 fpga and i m using level converters to match their voltage levels. if I set voltage levels of fpga pins to pci standard in pin constraint editor does it eliminate the need of level converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back