Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need to find this replacement part for my projector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

geocab

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, wasn't sure which forum this fit so I hope I picked the correct one.

My home theater projector stopped working today. The fuse is blown and the end of the plug on the noise filter is burnt up. I'm sure I can get a fuse at Radio Shack, but do you know where I can get a replacement Noise Filter?

SamsungComboPic.jpg

I'd appreciate any help.

The projector model is a Samsung SP-710AE.

Thank you.
Geo

Geo,

The burned connector is on the output side of the line filter, as probably is your fuse. This all points to a major high current draw (likely from shorted component(s)?) somewhere further within the projector circuitry. There is a chance that the filter, aside from the connector, is OK. You can check this by using an ohmmeter and checking continuity between the input and output pins, noting the schematic on the side. Without finding what the real problems is, replacing the fuse and filter will just result in another blown fuse...and back to square one. My guess is, from the level of your question, that you do not have the tools, documentation, or knowledge to accomplish a repair of this unit. Take it to an expert for an estimate.

This is from someone who hates working on consumer electronics... :)

Ken

Hi Ken,

Do you know where I can get a new connector for the noise filter then? I didn't think the filter was bad, I just figured I'd have to buy the whole assembly as one.

I know it's unlikely that just replacing the fuse will work, but I wanted to try because I figure that spending $3 on a pack of fuses is worth it if the fix ends up being that simple as opposed to a few hundred $$$ in repair.

The fuse that went bad is immediately to the right of the noise filter's connector. The fuse didn't blow properly as far as I can tell. The center isn't broken, instead the insides on one end of the fuse melted out of the seam where the endcap ends and the glass tube begins. I'm hoping that excessive heat was the cause of the current draw. The lamp gets really hot, and my furnace vent was blowing on the projector at the time it went out. It's been mounted in this location for three years now so I didn't think about the furnace vent.

I've got nothing to lose at this point, you know? :wink:

It may have very well been the lamp. I used alligator clips to make the connection where the noise filter plugs in, and replaced the fuse and the projector fires up and runs now. However, the lamp goes out after 30 seconds which usually indicates a bad lamp. Don't know why it'd blow a fuse, but I'll try my spare lamp after I fix the connector if I can find one.

Anyone know where to find this kind of connector?

Thanks.

that connector is common, i don't know the name, so i can't help you find it.

connector failure due to a short? you've got to be joking. A short would have blown the fuse without melting the connector.

lamp might need replacing, maybe it caused moderate over heating, causing the connector to char, then at the last lamp start up, the current draw was enough to blow the fuse.

you also have the option that the heat caused by the poor connection blew the fuse. (the fuse won't stand rated current at 150-175C, its probably rated for 125C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back