Status
Not open for further replies.

4la

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i need help on desinging a Linear water level indicator, can anyone pls help?

i have worked on designs that take level measurement at four discrete points but i need to work on one that measures the liquid level all through the tank linearly not at points. pls help

4la,

The best approach seems to be with an microcontroler ( with A/D built-in module ) reading a pressure sensor.
Precision may be low if level range don´t be high enough to fit the entyre sensor scale.
In other way, a AmpOp would be needed.

As posted by ckshivaram, target application details helps us to sugest a more precise solution.

+++

if you need a simple circuit you need only a bistable multivibrator using 555.
Please provide more requirements. So we can know your concept more accurately

hi Thunder

But what kind ok sensor must be connected at both inputs 1 and 2 ?

+++

no i think about a bistable multi vibrator

The OP has asked for a "Linear water level indicator" , you solution can only work as an alarm when the level goes above/below a certain level, it is a on/off solution.
To get an linear level indicator you need some king of sensor that gives a result which depends on the water level.

Alex

i need help on desinging a Linear water level indicator, can anyone pls help?

Assuming the water characteristics won't change a lot, you may use two long isolated electrodes to form a varying capacitor taking advantage of the difference of the dielectric constants of air and water (1 vs. 80). The change of the water level will reflect a change in the oscillator frequency for example (or the charging time). But I am not sure how good the accuracy will be, and if it is possible for you or not to use two long isolated metal electrode having a good surface with water (to increase the capacitance which helps I guess).
On the other hand, perhaps measuring the water conductivity can also be made to give a practical indication about the water level. But in this case the electrodes should resist corrosion.
I always liked to do such a linear sensor using rather a simple circuit but I didn't have the time... yet.

...perhaps measuring the water conductivity can also be made to give a practical indication about the water level...

I already tryed that approach in the wall water detector of an ice machine.
The problem is that parameter varyes, mainly against temperature ( even at low range ).

+++

i really need to have the level of water in the tank linearly displayed on a three seven segment display***

hi Thunder

But what kind ok sensor must be connected at both inputs 1 and 2 ?

+++

Only a transistor is enough

---------- Post added at 01:47 ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 ----------

I just think about the water level controller. If need a lenear sensor , a simple float or potentiometer and lm3917 is enough. It is very simple. I done it.

...If need a lenear sensor , a simple float or potentiometer and lm3917 is enough...

Electronically, seems to be very simple.
However, mechanically, assembly of the apparatus to support this set, seems to be imprecise, due # of turns need to fit all water path.
( 1 turn of trimpot should be multiplyed to some meters by some mechanism )

+++

OP,
You have to give more details :
tank height, working temperatures, fixed or mobile(on a ship),
desired response time, etc.

Till then, here are some design start points:
A.
1- Analog Output Pressure Sensor<- Freescale,Honeywell etc.
2- Op Amp, eventually
3-Cheap DMM*

1- Pressure Sensor<- Freescale,Honeywell etc.
2- Attiny13A
3- MC14499 for common cathode LED displays
4- 7-Segment 3 digit LED Display of your choice

Freescale gives free samples for some pressure sensors, find a temp. compensated one with needed range of pressure ; with a 1 bar (100kPa)
sensor you can measure a tank with 10 meters of water height.

* DMM = Digital Multi Meter :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…