Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

i m zero knowledge in electromagnetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmad

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm totally zero knowledge in electromagnetic. did anyone can give me some info where to get the best information for a beginner like me and it is easy to understand. my background is electronic engineering and i study a bit while in university. Could you all give me some guidance especially using computer simulation software.

My intension is more on studying how the electromagnetic field effect around a cable and how the magnetic field is changed when something come close to the cable. What parameter is changed and how to measure the changed.

Thanks

The famous book Electromagnetics by Kraus is easy to understand. They are available on used book sites like bookfinder.com

The book by Griffiths is also nice for a beginner. For the advanced, the book by J. D. Jackson and the book by Emil Wolf are great :)

good luck on your studies

I would reccommend:

1. the books by U.S. Inan & A.S.Inan:
"Engineering electromagnetics" (for transmission lines and static fields)
"Electromagnetic waves" (electrodynamics, waveguides)

2. D.K Cheng "Field and wave electromagnetics"

Good luck!

I would suggest a book by David M Pozar. It is not basic EM but Microwave Eng. This book is quite famous widely used by many EM/microwave/RF class. He covers those EM thoery in much simpler way that book by Cheng. I know all this because I took the EM class that used that EM book by Cheng and being so lucky to be able to take that Microwave Eng class by Pozar himself. At that time the book is under final editing but he already used it for teaching us at Univ of Massachussets at Amherst.

u r lucky man !
was Pozar ur lecturer ?! woow 8O

i do really recommend this book also for microwave engineering foundations, but for EM kraus would be the best

Yes, he was. He was an up and coming Associate Professor then and that Microwave Eng was his 1st book. He has come long way since then.

Believe it or not with all the fame and glory he is a nice person. Yes, you are right, I am lucky!! :D

Thanks evrybody,

how about the simulation software ?

regards

ahmad said:
Hi,
My intension is more on studying how the electromagnetic field effect around a cable and how the magnetic field is changed when something come close to the cable. What parameter is changed and how to measure the changed.
A full electromagnetic study is studying evolution in time and space as part of electric engineering but there is another one called kinetic evolution surely is part of electromagnetic study but rather is chemical engineer area.

What you are asking is kinetic evolution. Engineers are lazy, all they need is the fact that wave hitting something will encounter an impedance discontinuity.

Did I say lazy? No I meant smart because electrical engineers have better rules than chemical engineers when problem comes to this point.
All you need to know is impedance discontinuity (i am calling with general term impedance discontinuity because sometimes can not simply be called so.), and just follow the rules and you in 99% of the cases will get a correct result.

What happens in this "impedance discontinuity"? Wave has intensity and its radiation beam/area and around the cable (is that what you want?), closer the better.

When a particle of the wave (foton in antennas, electron/ion if inside another wire) hits the cable something strange happens. No exactly strange because this wave has particles with higher energies they hit the wire and energy hitting the wire for this particle is higher than threshold energy atom in wire has in lattice (whenever is) causing atom to encounter a collision.

This collision depends on incoming particle but depends on kind of atom, crystalographic structure (as form, crystalographic direction, remember chemistry?), angle of collision, etc. DO not worry for these things. We are good friends with DuPont to tell us what we are expecting.

Defects happen in intestitials of atom, isiolated points of defects as vacancies etc. called Frenkel pairs. If energy is greater than 2.5Td threshhold energy than energy starts to get transmitted. Rate of energy is power. Power is bandwidth. Rate of information is also Bandwidth.

Normally, if this energy is some information data, some processing occurs later as filters, multiplication by a local oscillator etc. but if this energy can not be picked up then this will cause some other problems because it can be as an outsider local oscillator energizing things you do not want causing noise etc.

Electrical engineers have simple rules, which damn it they work pretty good without this nonsense. These rules are fruit of years and years of work. Now you want to start learn these rules, test them, prove them and re-invent the wheel or better accept as true?

Your call.

hey try Microwave engineering by Pozar alongwith Fields and waves in electromagnetics by Ramo Whinery

The answer is all E-field and M-field changing depend on what kind of material passed throught the field, and especially total q on that material.
You can try Matlab or Microwave Office to simulate them.

If you're looking for a book on applied high frequency electromagnetics from an engineering point of view, take a look at this one:

Microwave Circuit Modeling Using Electromagnetic Field Simulation
Daniel G. Swanson and Wolfgang J.R. Hoefer
c. 2003, Artech House publishers

This is a really good book with a focus on using real EM simulators to design real parts. It's not a theoretical treatment on EM design, so you probably shouldn't start here. But it's a great book to refer to when you're trying to figure out what kind of EM analysis to use for your applications.

Dr. Hoefer is also the chief developer of the Mephisto3D TLM software. Both guys teach courses on EM theory and practical high frequency design.

Good luck!

hi
i advice you to use this book its the best for a begginer and easy to understand...
"elements of electromagnetics" for Mathew Sadiku...
good luck

i recomend you
Field and wave electromagnetics, by Cheng
it's not easy but a good guide and reference book ,
puzar is one another chioce .

Electromagnetics is simple as long as you aare not afraid of mathematics in it.Going through mathematics I think is the best way to grasp the concepts and it also makes you dead sure about what you know.Mostly theoretical books will look simpler but they will leave you in middle and at the end you'll be a master of none.Try Krauss's book,its a quite balanced book between theory and mathematics.

all book that here writen need a fundation of vector caculas. you need a book such as physic by:haliday that mathematics are easy.

I think the book with name [FIELD AND WAVE ELECTROMAGNETIC by david k.cheng] is the best book for you at the world.

I'm all for Schaum's Outline series on Electromagnetics. Covers relevant topics, it's A4 size, has problems to practice, and the best of all features... it's not even thick!!! :p

Best regards,
David

1>YOU CAN REFER THE BOOK " ELECTROMAGNETICS BY sadiku
2> ENGINERRING ELECTRMAGNETICS BY hayt.

May someone please point me to the references which disscuss the Electromagnetic Phonemena in a microscopic level?
I would also be very gratefull for references about "evanescent waves"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back