Not open for further replies.

Anton89

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
I am trying to simulate in Matlab a RF recevier, but I need to understand how to "see" the receiver input power.
Should I see it how the "power avaiable from a generator" or how the "power dissipated" on a generic 50 Ohm resistor?
The two type of power have two different equations to calculate it:
"power avaiable from a generator" = Vrms^2/(4*R)
"Power dissipated" = Vrms^2/R
In order to generate the signal voltage to input to receiver, which formula should I start from?

I want to simulate the power that will effectly be generated from signal generator and measured from a power spectrum analyzer (in laboratory).

Help me to understand.
Many thanks.

Antonio L.

(V^2)/2 should be fine

Hello everyone,
I want to simulate the power that will effectly be generated from signal generator and measured from a power spectrum analyzer (in laboratory).
Antonio L.
Le t me give you a hint..
As well known, the max. obtainable power from a generator that has an internal source impedance let say Zs, is defined when this generator is terminated by complex conjugate of this source resistance so conj{zs}
By this way, you can calculate how much power can be obtained from this generator.In other words, how much power is dissipated on load impedance.

A standard RF generator has a 50 ohm output impedance. When you set it, the displayed power is referred to the nominal load of 50 ohm.
Using the schematic drawn by Ata_sa16 (Thevenin equivalent):

Vin = Vg/2 this is the voltage seen by the load

The RMS power dissipated by it will be, simply:

Pload=Vin^2/R that referred to the internal generator is Pgen=Vg^2/(4R)

Then if you know which power is sent to the nominal load of 50 ohm, let's say Prec0 then you can calculate the generator voltage:

Prec = Vin^2/R ==> Vin = sqrt(Prec0*R)
since Vin = Vg/2 ==> Vg = 2*sqrt(Prec0*R)

So, in Matlab you will have to simulate an ideal generator of voltage Vg with series resistance R=50.
Connecting it to an ideal resistor R=50 ohm you will see the Prec0 you have set. When instead you will connect it to a real receiver the dissipated power will be different, according to the actual impedance of the receiver.
Let's imagine the actual receiver has a resistive impedance Rrec, then

Vrec=Vg*Rrec/(R+Rrec) ==> Vrec= 2*sqrt(Prec0*R)*Rrec/(R+Rrec)
Prec = Vrec^2/Rrec ==> Prec = 4*Prec0*R*Rrec/(R+Rrec)^2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…