i have a question about behavior of IR LED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any semiconductor junction does.

I think your answer is right, but in the different question..
What I'm asking is why does it behaves like that?is it kind of a phenomenon,theory or something?what is it?

The PN junction reaches an equilibrium that is distorted when energy is introduced. Light energy releases electrons producing electron/holes pairs so current increases.
Of course this explanation is very simplistic for more detail you can go into the Physics of the PN junction for example at wikipedia.
There are other devices that exhibit light dependence even when not designed to do so:
In the very old times we used to cut the top of a OC71 (very old Germanium transistor) to use it as a light sensor.
A DRAM (dynamic RAM) with its lid off, has been used as a low resolution camera.

Reactions: UyAb

UyAb

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
In the very old times we used to cut the top of a OC71
Or just scrape the black paint off.
I did break one open once to see what was inside. It was filled with something resembling Vaseline. Any idea what that was? At the time I just filed it mentally under "do not eat" and left it at that.

godfreyl:
I see that you are from the old times as me. Of course I was talking about the metallic encapsulation. As I recall those types had a white stuff resembling the silicon grease used for heatsinks.
look history here:
http://www.wylie.org.uk/technology/semics/Mullard/Mullard.htm
Regards

Thanks for the history. I didn't know they were available in a metal can. Back in my schooldays, my father brought an OC71 and an OC45 home from work for me to play with. It's amazing how much fun you can have with just one transistor - radio transmitters etc. By the time I started buying my own parts, they were all silicon.

Back on topic:
What about modern glass-encapsulated diodes like 1n4148? Can they inject hum into a circuit if they're exposed to flickering light, e.g. from a fluorescent lamp?

I didnt experience (or realized) the hum effect but this is from the Robert A. Pease book:

UyAb
Another form of energy that disturbes the equilibrium of a PN junction is thermal. It also releases electrons. Causing increasing current.

- - - Updated - - -

this is from a forum:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/archive/index.php/t-61061.html

Reactions: UyAb

UyAb

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The photocurrent is well detectable with Si-diodes in usual SOD27 glass package (1N4148 and similar). For normal light intensities, it's in the same order of magnitude as specified leakage currents. In other words, where leakage currents matter, you should better go for light absorbing packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…