Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I would like to try an N2 laser project so I would like to build a relatively cheap HV PSU (4-6KV) with the ability to vary this voltage and it's pulse rate.

I would welcome any ideas or suitable links of similar projects.

How much current? What is your PRF? The obvious way would be to use an inverter which you switch on and off at your pulse rate and use a rectifier and a small reservoir capacitor on an overwind on the transformer to provide your "DC" output. Just a matter of selecting the frequency.
Frank

the current is very low, much less than 1 mA. I was thinking of using these cold cathode fluoreshent inverters out of computer screens, but I have no idea of the voltage they produce and also I think they are AC. connecting a diode in series with the HV will drop the voltage even more. I need something like 5KV or so

Also how about an ignition coil from a car and a way to rectify the output and limit the voltage?

Last edited:

Diode do not drop the voltage by much, say 10 V for a 50 KV PIV diode. If you are using some form of high frequency invertor, you MUST use a suitable high frequency diode, power rectifiers will not work much beyond 400HZ
A car ignition coil could work, what is the PRF of your pulsing?
Frank

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/309905/ looks like a basis for your power supply, remove the drive to Q2 to pulse the laser.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.