Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How venders will define the values of setup & hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sathi.repala

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

can any one explain how venders will define the values of SETUP & HOLD.
i mean on which basis?

They simulate their transistor-level curcuits (flip-flop) in spice simulator, and see for different values of setup/hold if circuit fails or not (data from input passed to output or not).

They simulate their transistor-level curcuits (flip-flop) in spice simulator, and see for different values of setup/hold if circuit fails or not (data from input passed to output or not).

Hi oratie,
Thank u......

i heard that after fabrication of test chip the setup/hold values are extracted practically. is it true...
and one more question that if the circuit passes for different values, which one will be considerable...

Hi,

I think, it is both ways. Designers first do the transistor level simulations of their libraries and then compare it with test-chip results to factor in some variation and other stuff.

So, I think to answer your question, it is both.

HTH,
-Tejas

Hi ..
Just to add to the above, first when a request for a new technology-node arrives from a customer, the standard-cell library is designed and characterized on CAD for different operating condition ( depending upon the usage/application ). This characterization is "mostly" spice-simulation. Once first set of library is ready, it is further fabricated on silicon through test-chips and parameters are estimated(through dedicated circuits). On the basis of correlation between the CAD value and silicon value, the library is certified to be used in any pilot-project/product.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back