Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to write BSP to port Linux Kernel 2.6 to ARM 9 board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gowthamn

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am porting Linux to ARM 9 board so i need to write BSP to port Linux Kernel 2.6 so is there any book or document from which i can write BSP for this board.

Re: Linux BSP guide

Embedded Planet develops embedded linux board support packages (BSPs) to speed OEM product development. Our BSPs are ready to run out of the box and include a full toolchain and complete source code. The toolchain is from the Embedded Linux Development Kit (ELDK). The kernel source (both 2.4 and 2.6 versions) comes from the canonical linux kernel hosted by Bitkeeper with modifications made to support Embedded Planet Single Board Computer Modules.

The packages contain prebuilt RAM and ROM kernel images and documentation that describes installing the BSP, setting up the development environment (target and host), building and downloading a custom kernel image, and running applications.

MOD - Advertising removed

Which ARM9 your board has?

I have S3c2410 ARM 9 board.

Take a look at /arch/arm/mach-s3c2410 directory of your embedded linux source tree. You'll see bsp of some boards (mach-xxx.c) which uses S3C2410. Inspect and try to revise one of them. It's easier than building a bsp from ground up.

Take a look at /arch/arm/mach-s3c2410 directory of your embedded linux source tree. You'll see bsp of some boards (mach-xxx.c) which uses S3C2410. Inspect and try to revise one of them. It's easier than building a bsp from ground up.

I agree with _i386sx25_ .
If you want to start from scratch( e.g Your board is designed by You and it doesn't share any thing in common with others) Then
1) You should first get hold of the Hardware specification
2) Identify crucial things need to be set-up first in the kernel
3) Identify if any modification needs to be done to your bootloader (U-Boot)
4) write codes for the point-2 and point-3
5) write codes for IO subsystem handling
6) compile and try on your hardware
7) if it works well then you did your BSP
else goto point-2

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Ashok.

Status
Not open for further replies.