Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use Zener diode as a regulator??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gameelgamal

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to use zener diode

Hi
I have 12 V battery
and I want to use it to drive 6V 3A DC motor

First, I choosed 7805 regulator, But it got too hot
So I want to design a regulator circuit using Zener diode
But I dont have any experience in this field..

Any help...

zener diode shunt motor regulator

I would not use the dc regulator that you have chosen to provide that sort of current .
You realy need to use a pulse of current with the duration of the pulse verying that way you will get the best control with little heat generated in your control circuit.
The same method i described is used in hand held electric drills . You can hear the inverter working as you pule the triger for more power

how to use diode

gameelgamal,
Barrybear is correct. to use a Zener diode in a simple shunt regulator configuration, the series resistor would have to dissipate (12-6)*3 = 18 Watts. Furthermore, if you remove the 3A motor load, the Zener would have to also have to dissipate 18 Watts. This simplified analysis assumes that the Zener current under the 3 A motor load is negligible. The only practical way to provide the regtulation is to use a switching buck regulator. It would waste very little power and greatly extend the battery life.
Regards,
Kral

Status
Not open for further replies.