Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use pulse current to drive a LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmoon

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!
I want to use pulse current to drive a high brightness LED。This LED is about 3v
at 700mA.
It's about a Visible light communication system。The digital signal’s rate is about 50mbps-200mbps。I use a bias tee to get togeher the DC bias current and the digital pulse。My problem is how to supply this bias current。It is about 200mA-700mA and changeable。Can I use a LED dirver?and how to connect it with the bias tee。
In addition,The digital signal need to connect an amplifier before the bias-tee。
How to choose the amplifier? Can I use a current buffer?how to choose it?
I am a greenhand both in the electronics and English。
I don't know if you can understand me。If you can。 Please give me some advice。Thanks。

I would doubt that the led driver can pulse that high. LED drivers are supplies with control loops, and the loop bandwidth is way too small to pulse the led at a 50 nanosecond rate.

There are high speed laser diode driver IC's available, you could drive your LED with one of them and be done with it.

You could also just use a high speed mosfet and a current limiting resistor, although your current control will not be too good.

Also, make sure the LED can switch that quickly. I do not know the response time of a high brightness LED, but it may take time to turn on/off.

You are going to need some big honking bypass capacitors on the power supply lines!

jdmoon

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back