Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use Multiple Serial Ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you give a brief understanding of how to use the softuart? I mean how would I connect a software with the hardware? I'll search it up but give me some basic knowledge how should i use the softuart for my gps

The following is a fairly good example of a timer/interrupt driven AVR softUART. Essentially softUARTs only required the use of standard I/O pins, so you can move the softUART to pins which are not in use.

Review the following example and post any additional questions you may have:

Timer-based AVR Software-UARTS

P.S. my gps bydefault runs on 9600baud

Most GPSs allow you to change the BAUD rate, can you either upload the datasheet or specify the exact make and model of your unit.

You may also want to limit the types of GPS sentences which are transmitted to reduce traffic to a minimum.

BigDog

i am not able to grasp the idea of softuart.. kindly explain it to me.. i checket the link but its all related to codes

my gps is em-406a
how would i change the baud for it?

i am not able to grasp the idea of softuart.. kindly explain it to me.. i checket the link but its all related to codes

A softUART is also referred to as a bit-banged UART. The following "notes" discusses the principle behind its implementation:

Notes on bit-banging async serial

Bit Banging UART

The Joy of Bit-Banging, part 1: TX

The Joy of Bit-Banging, part 2: RX

my gps is em-406a
how would i change the baud for it?

The EM-406A GPS module does allow for changes in the serial port configuration. You need to construct a Set Serial Port command message/sentence which upon being sent to the GPS module will reconfigure the serial port and these settings will be stored battery backed SRAM to be reload upon reset.

Reference: PRODUCT USER MANUAL GPS RECEIVER ENGINE BOARD EM-406A, Section: NMEA Input Command A). Set Serial Port, Page: 10

Also Reference:

GPS Engine Board EM-406a

According to both these documents the default BAUD rate for the GPS module is 4800, not 9600.

BigDog

I also thought that the default baud rate is 4800.

Status
Not open for further replies.