Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use battery correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoivn

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!
I'm using mobile phone and laptop.Some body told me that I should charge the batteries only when they're really low so that I could use them for a long time,but another one told me to charge them everytime (always...).So what should I do?

In the old days with nickle-cadmium batteries there was a memory effect. The capacity would decline if you charged them from less than full discharge. NiMH types had a much smaller memory effect. Now Lithium-Ion batteries are used in telephones and computers. These have no memory effect. You can charge them wit a smart charger (which usually comes with the product) whenever you find it convenient.

shoivn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for your help! But is it harmful if we continue charging even when the battery is full already? By the way,you mentioned a smart charger.Is it a charger that can turn off when the battery is full?Does it has any functions else?

Batteries (of any kind) will not last forever ..
The ordinary Li-ion battery has 500 to 800 hundred charge cycles ..
The real life span depends on how it is used and cared for ..
See https://ebuybatteries.com/company/battery_faq.htm#battery-life and **broken link removed** for more information ..

Regards,
IanP

The second link was incorrect ..

shoivn

Smart chargers monitor the battery voltage and temperature to determine when to stop the charge. This is why many computers and telephones only allow you to charge the battery when it is in the product. This is where the smart charger is.

shoivn

Status
Not open for further replies.