Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to transmit still images over internet using a micro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

algilsan

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi to all,

I'm going to explain my proyect and my problem,

i want to transmit still video images over internet using a microcontroller, instead of using a comercial PC.

I have an analog camera as a source of images, so i have to digitalize the signal, i have used a SAA7113 from
philips. This chip produces an signal compliant with ITU 656 4:2:2 standard, at 27MBytes/s in a 8 bit bus.

i don´t want to send this data because the amaount of data generated and the transfer ratio. son i decided
to compress this sygnal, the best method i have find is compress data using M-JPEG (Motion Jpeg), this method
compress digital images at a time. So it's perct to me. But my problem is that i only have find one chip that
make this and it's compatible with ITU 656, this chip it's ZR36060 from zoran.
The incovenient of this chip reachs on
it's price 60$ about !!!, and it's not well documented on the web. This chip compress th image and generate a still
jpg image, but since it has no internal memory like DRAM, i have to store this image in a external memory.

The transfer ratio is about 9MBytes/s in a 8 bit bus.

I would like to know if there are any other chips that can do my task
how can i manage this amount of data 9MBytes/s, i have think of using fast 8051 uC, ARM, DMA controller+ ARM, ...
to store in external ram?

i really need any help???

many thanks in advance

Re: how to transmit still images over internet using a micro

Hi

I'm from germany, so, sorry for my english. :eek:)

I try to solve nearly the same problem. So I bought the zr36060 and a saa7114. For the zr36060 I had to pay 37 € (about $42) at www.topas.de.

At **broken link removed** I found an interesting paper with shematics for a webcam. They also use the zr36060 and the saa7114 and a x86 compatible chip for controlling the chips, the cam and for transfering the images over tcp/ip.

But I also think, that the zr36060 is to expansive. Did you found a microcontroller/DSP witch could do the compressing task quick enoght. The saa7114 have a fifo, so the controller only habe to read there, till it have 8 lines of the picture (like the zoran) compress it and then put it into memory or sending it thru the networkinterface.

But I don't know, how fast such a controller have to be. Pleace let me know, if you find answers.

So long, dydimos

algilsan said:
hi to all,

I'm going to explain my proyect and my problem,

i want to transmit still video images over internet using a microcontroller, instead of using a comercial PC.

I have an analog camera as a source of images, so i have to digitalize the signal, i have used a SAA7113 from
philips. This chip produces an signal compliant with ITU 656 4:2:2 standard, at 27MBytes/s in a 8 bit bus.

i don´t want to send this data because the amaount of data generated and the transfer ratio. son i decided
to compress this sygnal, the best method i have find is compress data using M-JPEG (Motion Jpeg), this method
compress digital images at a time. So it's perct to me. But my problem is that i only have find one chip that
make this and it's compatible with ITU 656, this chip it's ZR36060 from zoran.
The incovenient of this chip reachs on
it's price 60$ about !!!, and it's not well documented on the web. This chip compress th image and generate a still
jpg image, but since it has no internal memory like DRAM, i have to store this image in a external memory.

The transfer ratio is about 9MBytes/s in a 8 bit bus.

I would like to know if there are any other chips that can do my task
how can i manage this amount of data 9MBytes/s, i have think of using fast 8051 uC, ARM, DMA controller+ ARM, ...
to store in external ram?

i really need any help???

many thanks in advance

Camera

Visit

www.wiznet.co.kr

they mainly deal in hardware modules for TCP/IP and ehternet. But they do have an application board that houses a camera.

Another idea is to use a cheap USB webcam ($25) and use a micro with a USB port. If you want to transmit motion video, you will need a realtime compression hardware.

hey techie... your ideea is great but:
1. Did U have/know the protocol for the USB cheap Camera?
2. U need a controller with roothub USB (camera is slave)... witch 1 did U recommand???

//a

As far as the USB protocol is concerned, the chipmakers of the camera (omnivision, ST etc) give the interface details only after signing an NDA.

You can use a PIC micro that has a USB (I dont remenber teh number butyou can seatch microchip). Or you can use a variety of 8051 compatibles that have USB interface.

check out analog devices have also a jpeg2000 compression chip, prize is somewhat around 40$, analog has a great development board base on this, my openion is to use a dsp chip, In motorola site there is an application note for jpeg2000 compression based on starcore dsp chip, ti and analog also have great support on streaming image compression. In practical if you want to send datas over net you should highly compress the data and adjust framerate according to your bandwidth, check national geode processor. Its a 586 variant embedded processor, I think its well suited for video application. I am also planning to develop a similiar device but i am in its preliminary study stage, later i may tell which method is better suite for this application
indy

hi to all,

i have been looking for everything, i have spent several mounths managing information for my proyect. And my conclusions are:

Nowadays the tendency is to integrate CCD cameras into small enclosures, as a mobile phones. So manufatures are providing chips that directly interface with this sensors, and have MJPEG compression codecs inside.

thre are many chips that have USB interface, like have cygnal, but it's difficult to manage an prepare aproyect that handle images so to get it more difficult with the USB protocol.

i have no found many chips that have MJPEG codec inside and have directly inteface to ITU 656 standard. One of this is ZORAN 326060. So many people have it's own FPGA's that do the task.

i've being wondering if it's possible to use a fast uC or uP, like ARM TDM9, to manage video live infroation, that are provided with SAA7113, i don't know, because i ha ve no reference, and it's difficult to get an ARM development system and create a PCB board to only check if it's possible or not.

what about traditional cammeras, i want to use small spy cameras, thant provide analog video output and are very cheap. i don't want to make a cammera based on a CCD and have to integrate all of it's parts

i know analog is developing an J2000 codec, but it's not and standar till know, and i want to make my proyect as standard as possible, like a jpg image.

Maybe solution is in BECk page, they have a wecbam with this two chips, i'm going to seark all information the have to see how they manage Zoran ZR36060 and SAA7114

i want to say that this can be a very good topic to maintain, since a very nice proyect we have in mind.

best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back