Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to transform self drive lawn mower into robot that drives itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

gl1

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I want to make a project, convert a self propelled lawn mower into a robot.
Any one got some good pointers for me, im totally new to robotics.

I will want the bot to drive itself around the garden, reverse, go forward and avoid objects.

Any ideas what i use to control the forward/reverse gear selection, and what components i will need to have the bot guide itselef around the garden

I plan to use a PIC microcontroller as the brains, as i am familiar with programming mico controllers.
But interfacing the little electronics to the mechanical hardwarwe i have no experience.

Thanks

You'll need to install a mechanism to steer the mower. It will be easier if the front wheels already pivot (assuming the rear wheels are propelled). You'll add either a solenoid, or a servo. This will move an arm attached to both wheels.

A similar solenoid/servo arrangement will engage/disengage the propelling drive.

You exert physical force to do these things. Your mechanisms must have the power to exert the same amount of force. So you'll need to add a battery to power these mechanisms.

To recognize obstacles, it may not be enough to use photo-sensors. It will probably require a webcam or two. Plus some expert programming.

Thanks for Reply Brad,

Could you recommend a servo/solenoid combo to apply approx 100/150N force.

IS there any other solution to using a webcam, this i think would take a lot of programming(a DSP would be required)

Thanks,

I believe I've heard there are larger, more powerful servos.
Don't know what to suggest. I only have experience with the little servos in radio-controlled airplanes.

As an alternative to a camera, there are cheap infra-red motion sensors such as the type which turn on lights when something passes in front of it.

Or, mount a photosensor on the front of the mower. Shine a bright led spotlight ahead of it. An approaching obstacle will reflect light back to the photosensor. That's the theory anyway.
(Flash the led's at a rapid frequency. Make your detection circuit tuned at the same frequency.)

Reactions: gl1

gl1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back