Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to test if microcontroller IC is damaged/burnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

niranjan23

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to know and how to test microcontroller ic is damaged or get burnt.....??

Re: microcontroller ic test

1 Try it in a minimal circuit.

2 See if you can program it.

3 Make a test board that has an LED with series resistor to each output and run a simple LED flash program.

This covers 99.9% or more of faults. Most micro-controllers either work or do not.

If you are worried about the last 0.1% or less, then write test programs for each peripheral.

Alternatively - just bin what you have and buy a new one.

most of the damaged ones will overheat in a minimalist circuit. if not try a led blinker program. if no response then it will be DUD

single port may be burn ,

how to know and how to test microcontroller ic is damaged or get burnt.....??

All depends from IC type. You can test IC with watching signals on pins, with well known parameters of circuit. If you know that some IC should generate some signal on some pin with some parts value, this can show status of IC. Also if we have example ADC, you can give some known value on in and try to watch what you get on IC.

You can use oscilloscope, signal analyzers, frequency meters, ..... or even small dedicated test circuit for that particular IC.

I remember that I once had problem with one uC pin, pin was damaged I didnt know that in first time, I buy it in shop new part, I didnt expecting this situations. When I try second uC all was ok. Sometimes is good to have several uC.

:wink:

i think atmel avrs are a bit hard to damage , once i accidentally gave a mega 8 9vDC at its power supply, the whole thing heated up, fried i thought; after couple of tries with its fuse settings (parallel port pgming) it finally came to life..

Maybe that wounded uC just waiting to revenge for this frying in some delicate moment when you need it. :)

but it was working perfectly.. but you just gave me a scary thought :( . the thing is that, it got mixed up with my collection of mega 8s almost impossible to find it now. PIC did cheated me few times but not AVRs. ;)

If you dont use it in some critical device no problem, but if you use it for some medilac measurement, heating/cooling control, alarm systems,... and similar things, replace it with new. Better dont mix used with new, use some separation technique, boxes or similar thing.

You can always put some testing firmware inside that uC to test his pins. That firmware should gives some well known signals on pins whics you expecting and monitoring with some analyzer or scope.

When I ususally use some uC or other IC on protoboard that uC is not used in final device or back in my private stock of semiconductors, thise parts stay just for testing in separated box.

its an accidental mix-up. critical equip?? nah.

Also you can use PICKit 2 or PICKit 3 for debugging

logic.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back