Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to test High frequency transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatruddha

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
Today I finished winding my ferrite core transformer. Now I was wondering how to test it, if its working properly or not.
My primary turns are 26 and secondary turns are 3. I intend to step down 200v dc to 23 V. I'm using full bridge topology and operating at 200khz.
I thought of test it for a low voltage first. So I started with 12V. I fed 12V to my H-Bridge and hence to primary of my transformer while keeping secondary open.
I see a click sound when I switch on the power. So I think its working. But after running a few seconds I started to see smoke on my circuit, all I can think of is, this smoke is coming because of high current (I should mention that my circuit was on breadboard).
My initial consideration was for a open circuit, transformer draws very less current and hence I should be able to test it on breadboard, but after seeing those fumes I'm surprised if transformer draws too much current for open circuit as well.
Any help towards testing a high frequency transformer is highly appreciated. Furthermore What might be possible reason for high current?

My guess is the number of turns in the primary may be off either due to core cross section or core flux density at saturation.
How did you arrive at 26?

In Teslas', what saturation level did you assume for the core?
What is the cross section area of the total core?

turns = V / 4 / m2 / Hz / T

V = 220
m2 = Core size in square meters
Hz = 200,000
T = core saturation in Telas at 200kHz (I would expect .03 or less)

Also make sure you are not driving both the + and - leg of the H bridge at the same time.

Hi
No tension.
you could use a large diameter wire for this purpose.
you could use the large diameter wire for high current.

Hi
No tension.
you could use a large diameter wire for this purpose.
you could use the large diameter wire for high current.

With no load on the secondary it is not a wire gauge issue unless the wire is so large in diameter it is driving core geometry.

Yeah right. I think the issue was with switching of mosfets. I kept this work on hold until I get my oscilloscope. I've ordered DSO Quad from seeedstudio :)

Status
Not open for further replies.