Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to test a transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaga2410

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody,

I've searched the web for testing a transformer. I 've found some help but not very satisfy.

I have a lot of transformer that I take from some crash materials.
The code inside don't help.

I would like to use them for my projects.

So, if anyone know how to approximate the current and voltage, it was very useful for me !!!

Thank you very much for your help :D

Turns ratio (voltage ratio primary to secondary) can be calculated pretty easily by applying a sinewave to one winding and measuring the amplitude on another winding..

hi, I think
You can use VOM , choose mode Ohm metter to test your transformer! The impedance input of it is large, and the impedance output of it is small.
if it's is not right , the transformer maybe corroupted

How can you test the maximum current and the voltage to the secondary wind of a transform? I also have a few transformers from crashed devices but i cannot use them because of their unknown characteristics. Can u help me?

Well, voltage ratios are easy, as I said. Max voltage cannot be measured, as it depends on the insulation. You can, however, make insulation assumptions for the primary winding if you know where the xformer came from (eg. a mains transformer pulled from most european user equipment will handle 240V).. You can calculate max power if you can get a good estimate of the cross-sectional area of the winding's wire, usually the same wire connecting to the Xformer terminal. Knowing the resistance of the winding (ohmmeter) and the cross-sectional area of the conductor, you can get a good idea of it's length..

Hi,

To Vendelay, you say "Turns ratio (voltage ratio primary to secondary) can be calculated pretty easily by applying a sinewave to one winding and measuring the amplitude on another winding.. "

How to measure amplitude ?

Thanks

Hi,

We are a leader supplier of high voltage test equipment. Himalayal has a reputation for quality and reliability based on extensive products and abundant experience. Himalayal provide the test measurement and diagnostic equipment for a wide range of electrical applications. Also Himalayal establishes a whole of service including special design, manufacturing, engineering, installation, commissioning and technical support etc.

If need to consult experts, himalayal, is your best choice or you can visit power transformer test system to find the answer. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back