Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to test 2 dipole antenna?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

awaki

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to test 4 element dipole antenna array?????

Hi
I have designed a 4 elements dipole antenna array at 10GHz..But the problem is that i'm unable to test them as in our university the facility is available to check the radiation pattern and VSWR of single antenna. How can i check the combined radiation pattern and VSWR of whole array???? Would 4 to 1 way power combiner will work??????

There are usually two types of commercially available power divider/combiner
DC blocking and DC pass.
What is the main difference between them??
which one will be used in my case??
Thanks

Last edited:

Re: How to test 4 element dipole antenna array?????

From your question i understand that, you have 4 feed antenna array. You can use corporate feed type of 2-way powerdivider.
If you have plan to use 4 to 1 powerdivider/combiner, check the amplitude balance and phase numbers of the power divider.

Thanks

Reactions: awaki

awaki

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thanks alot for help.
"check the amplitude balance and phase numbers of the power divider"
What is the criteria for that. I searched a power combiner whose amplitude balance is 0.3dB max and phase balance is 4° max..Will this combiner work for my array??
Thanx

You might need to compensate for slight phase variations by using coaxial phase trimmers:

Coaxial Phase Shifters:: Fairview Microwave (S.M. Electronics L.L.C.)

If you don't have these available and the university can't afford it, possibly trim with short sma connector savers.

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

**broken link removed**

awaki

to check the radiation pattern you need to develop a power divider circuit which can feed your dipole array and using spectrum analyzer check the VSWR and radiation pattern in the 3 principle planes.

Thanx for help. Kindly tell me how we can see the radition pattern on spectrum analyzer because as far as i know(may be i'm wrong) we can't see radiation pattern on specturm analyzer???

It is possible to see the radiation pattern and check the VSWR on a Agilent spectrum analyser or a Network Analyzer (Agilent 8753ES) the series doesnt matter. But yes spectrum analyser in some models have limited operations.

awaki

ok... thanx for ur time and help. I will look it up.

I'm bit confused regarding power combiner/divider because

There are usually two types of commercially available power divider/combiner
DC blocking and DC pass.
What is the main difference between them??
which one will be used in my case??
Thanks

Last edited:

Thanx for help. Kindly tell me how we can see the radition pattern on spectrum analyzer because as far as i know(may be i'm wrong) we can't see radiation pattern on specturm analyzer???

Well, obviously you would have to mount your antenna on a mechanical rotating stand, and sweep the azimuth as a fixed horn antenna in the distance measures what it transmitted to it. You hook the spectrum analyzer to the distance receiving horn antenna, and drive your device under test with a fixed frequency signal source.

Biff44 Sir, If we have to get the radiation pattern of an antenna we placed it as receiver. So if we put horn as receiver and connect it to spectrum analyzer, how would i expect to get the radiation pattern of array infact it will be the radiation pattern of horn???

and one more request, kindly give answer to above mentioned question related to power combiner/divider...Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back