Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to store data from serial port and access it through Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munib

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Database interfacing

I have some data coming on serial port of PC I want to store this data in a database and then wants to retrieve the data from database through internet

Any suggestions how can i do this?
What programming languages to use?

Database interfacing

well, u have 2 parts to this problem,
1) use c/c++ to interface ur serial port and after u get the data, u can use database api(ODBC) to store the data on the database.
2) if u want to access this data via the internet, then write an asp page and put this on the server, the client will connect to the asp page and the asp page will fetch the data from the database and send it to the client.

Database interfacing

You can do this very easily with vb6 in just a few lines of code. Just monitor the serial port and when data arrives ... save it in access database using oledb.

Reactions: silaj

silaj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Database interfacing

You can do this very easily with vb6 in just a few lines of code. Just monitor the serial port and when data arrives ... save it in access database using oledb.

can u do it for me line by line? i will be very thankful to u

Another solution which seems to be even easier to do is:
1- Monitor the serial port
2- Grab data and save in Excel
3- Send your Excel

Mahdi.

I use python when doing things like this. I haven't tried b6.. is it easy to learn?

I have no idea about python, but VB is really nice and easy to learn while you compare it with C/C++/C# or Delphi family.

Mahdi.

Another good way to access data via the net is to use a webserver. If you using python, you could use CherryPy and read the data via database or a text file. There are a lot of examples in the internet in how to set this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back