Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to steer your planar array antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihamieh

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys,

I've designed a good Microstrip planar array antenna with good gain and everything; however, the mainlobe direction is not 90 degree. Anyone has tips in how to change the antenna direction?
I don't want to make major changes because it took me long time to get this result :shock:!

I appreciate you guys help in advance.

Thanks,

Hi Ihamieh,

Maybe the elements are not associated with the correct phases. A progressive time (phase) delay allows to steer the beam to different directions.
If it is a small array, maybe the element factor is asymmetric and has a big influence.
Can you post a scheme of the array?
Regards

Z

hello zorro,

my antenna is a mictrostrip 5x16 array... and I optimized my patches for best result (gain, beamwidth, low sidelobes)! the only thing that it's not quite right the direction... i need it to be a broadband radiation and it is but a 45 degrees!
I hope that explains my situation better?
thanks

Hi Ihamieh,

Maybe the elements are not associated with the correct phases. A progressive time (phase) delay allows to steer the beam to different directions.
If it is a small array, maybe the element factor is asymmetric and has a big influence.
Can you post a scheme of the array?
Regards

Z

Hi Ihamieh,

It depends on how the distribution network is.
You need a maximum of radiation is the direction normal to the plane. Then, all the elements must be fed in phase.
If all is right:
- The phases of the distribution determine the direction of the beam.
- The amplitudes of the distribution determine the sidelobe level.
Regards

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back