Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to start from scratch -design micro patch antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

nesan

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
am an engineering student who wants to do a project on micro patch antenna but am so much confused in selecting specifications of my antenna to use for WLAN and where to get simulation software for free?

Use this calculator: https://www.emtalk.com/mpacalc.php
Start with some FR4 with er=4.2 and Dielectric Height=1mm thickness, see what would be size of patch for your frequency, for example at 2.4 or 5GHz. Then just search in google for patch antenna photos and try to understand why microstrips are wide or thin in different places, why they have certain width and length (power dividing, matching). This material will help to understand that: https://www.antenna-theory.com/antennas/patches/antenna.php (read through all of it by clicking NEXT on the bottom of the page).

Reactions: nesan

nesan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for your replies. Is it possible to simulate patch antenna for 2.4 ghz in free simulator and with the results is it possible to print the antenna into the pcb realisation

please provide link where I can get tutorial for patch antenna simulation and actual realization

please provide link where I can get tutorial for patch antenna simulation and actual realization

Patch antenna simulation is THE classic student excercise for EM solvers, and we have a thread on that topic here almost daily. For exotic solvers like emGine, you might not find a tutorial, but for sure there is documentation.

But simulation is step 2. The first step is to understand the design theory of patch antennas. Get an antenna book and start reading that, before you start simulating.

nesan

I understand that and as of my study on patch antenna I came to conclusion to design.an antenna for operating 2.4 ghz and realise into real antenna for submitting as my final year Project so I need help on simulation software with helpful tutorial to do my.project

Here is a tutorial for Sonnet Lite (2.4GHz patch antenna)

Attachments

• Patch antenna Gunthard Kraus.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 128

nesan

FR4 with er=4.2 what is the exact expansion and meaning of FR in the specification

How To explain the Applications of Micro Patch Antenna operating at 2.4GHz in real time implementation

@admins I tried to upload my sonnet project file has extension. zon but unable to upload it please fix this

Very easy to fix the problem yourself:

You can ZIP the files that you want to upload.

Or you can rename the *.ZON to *.ZIP because technically Sonnet *.ZON files are ZIP files, just with a different file extension to identify them.

nesan

You have placed the port on the complete edge width, instead of making it narrow (feed with limited line width). This is something that you can't build in hardware. Look again at the tutorials how they do it.

When you wrote about negative gain, did you look at the wrong curve (S11)?

Antenna gain is 6.7dB for our model, that is ok. You need Sonnet Professional with the antenna pattern viewer license to calculate the gain from the simulated currents. In Sonnet Lite you can't plot gain.

nesan

You have placed the port on the complete edge width, instead of making it narrow (feed with limited line width). This is something that you can't build in hardware. Look again at the tutorials how they do it.

When you wrote about negative gain, did you look at the wrong curve (S11)?

Antenna gain is 6.7dB for our model, that is ok. You need Sonnet Professional with the antenna pattern viewer license to calculate the gain from the simulated currents. In Sonnet Lite you can't plot gain.

Thanks a lot for your reply sir can you post the corrected
project file here so that i can analyse it

No, this is your student homework. You want to learn something from this example. :-D

Oh I understand sir but it will be good if you are posting correcting procedure which I follow and do by my own am expecting procedure to correct myself with this antenna

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back