Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to start building quadcopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom2

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I plan to start a new project, quadcopter project. My problem is that i don't know how to calculate the needed size of the quadcopter. Also i will need the necessary specs for the motors.

I am also trying to make quadcopter just visit my thread for motor specification and other help search post by quadcopter by santoshaxl

Quadcopters are kinda expensive to build. I've got no experience as such, but a friend of mine had built one. As far as I can remember what he had problems with:
-mechanical construction - everything has to be very light, but durable. Extensive use of carbon fiber, balsa wood etc
-motors - light but also high rpm
-battery - light, but with highest capacity possible (not like it's gonna last more than 20 minutes anyway...)
-electronics - some expensive sensors including mandatory gyroscope and accelerometer, and also less mandatory but still useful temperature, pressure and compass.
-control - high performance MCU capable of gathering all the data from sensors and executing regulation algorythm (PID, Kalman filter, etc...)
-high density of components - probably not possible to make pcb at home, has to be ordered
-steering apparatus - at least 3 channels, probably more
-safety measures - such as automatic shutdown in case of controll loss to prevent anyone getting hurt

If you add costs of prototypes and failures (drop from anything above 1m probably means total rebuild)

Status
Not open for further replies.