Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to set up a GSM transceiver with pic16f877A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

areeckal

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to send the data read by sensors interfaced with pic 16f877A to a GSM receiver associated with it. Then the GSM transmitter must be forwarded to the GSM receiver associated with the master microcontroller. This is the basic set up .
I am a new bie in this area. Can anyone help me to set up the GSM module with the PIC?

GSM by itself is a transceiver, so 1 single GSM modem will be enough for your application and the master can be any mobile phone... if you search interfacing GSM to PIC in this forum I have already answered everything about it.

If you dont have modem then you can buy one . it will cost you around 2500rs.
visit
N S K E L E C T R O N I C S
Sunrom Technologies, Your Source for Development

My application will be having many microcontrollers with sensors monitoring a large area. The application requires all these microcontrollers to send the data to the master microcontroller via GSM. From the master microcontroller the data must go to desktop PC via serial connection and to a mobile application vis GSM. A single GSM modem will be sufficient?

No. every station should have a gsm modem..
Instead of modem you can go for zigbee modules types... even
you need 1 zigbee module for every station ,but works out cheaper than gsm.

like gsm, zigbee also offers serial interface, which can be connected to controller and PC

As stated by MRAMA, every station needs GSM modem, and the cost would increase if you have more number of stations... i would also suggest you to go with zigbee or rf modules at 433MHZ modules

Will it be possible to use pic16f877a with zigbee? Which pic will be most suitable for the project?

877A is good enough, and simple..
it can be done with any controller, it depends on your cost estimate of project and the best understanding and knowledge of controller you have...

I am completely new to microcontrollers and zigbee. Will memory be a constraint for zigbee? While surfing I came across a point like zigbee stack requires more memory and it is more suitable with pic 18... How much will it cost altogether..

yours is a very basic application of reading the sensor values and sending it to master controller, there is no much of data processing you are doing at stack level...

there is no need of more memory as the master controller will have to store the data from other zigbee modules and in your applicationit sends nothing more than sensor data....

---------- Post added at 11:10 ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 ----------

you can implement it on any 8051 controller

Thank you very much for your help...
So.. will it be good if I am using 8051 at the individual sensor nodes and a pic as the master controller? The master controller should transmit the data as it comes to the desktop pc and further processing is done there as per now. Or is it advantageous to do the processing at the master controller itself? The processed data must be given to a web server and mobile application for display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back