Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to set patch antenna to work in ‘lock straight beam’ mode ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xymhao

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A paper mentioned that “The transmitter antenna(patch antenna ) was set to ‘lock straight beam’ mode using GUI controlling software.”
What's the meaning of ‘lock straight beam’ mode ? Can anyone know? How could I realized it? Thank you!

No idea... smells like a steerable phased array, but who knows? What paper? Can you post it or a link?

Reactions: xymhao

xymhao

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
No idea... smells like a steerable phased array, but who knows? What paper? Can you post it or a link?
Hello!Thank you for the reply!Attachment is the paper.View attachment Orbital Angular Momentum Generation in a 60 GHz Wireless Radio Channel.pdfView attachment 4-Gbps Uncompressed Video Transmission over a.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

Hello!Thank you for the reply! Attachment is the paper.View attachment Orbital Angular Momentum Generation in a 60 GHz Wireless Radio Channel.pdfView attachment 4-Gbps Uncompressed Video Transmission over a.pdf

Reactions: Bob60

Bob60

Thanks for the papers - a quick skim through reveals that they are using a 60 GHz transceiver system from 'Silicon Image'. The company's website (http://www.siliconimage.com/solutions/wireless/) alludes to the capabilities of their transceivers:

"Featuring low-cost standard CMOS fabrication processes, embedded on-chip antennae, and proprietary beam-forming algorithms...", and
"...integrates a 60GHz RF transceiver, baseband processor, and embedded antenna array...", so yup - I'd suspect phased array beamforming - steerable via the GUI so that a "beam" could be "locked" "straight" someplace...?

Alas they don't give much away on the website and make mention of non-disclosure agreements to gain access to anything else.
Designing planar phased arrays with patch antennas is a well worn path, so you shouldn't have any trouble Googling up an information storm if that's what you're looking for :)

Reactions: xymhao

xymhao

Thanks for the papers - a quick skim through reveals that they are using a 60 GHz transceiver system from 'Silicon Image'. The company's website (http://www.siliconimage.com/solutions/wireless/) alludes to the capabilities of their transceivers:

"Featuring low-cost standard CMOS fabrication processes, embedded on-chip antennae, and proprietary beam-forming algorithms...", and
"...integrates a 60GHz RF transceiver, baseband processor, and embedded antenna array...", so yup - I'd suspect phased array beamforming - steerable via the GUI so that a "beam" could be "locked" "straight" someplace...?

Alas they don't give much away on the website and make mention of non-disclosure agreements to gain access to anything else.
Designing planar phased arrays with patch antennas is a well worn path, so you shouldn't have any trouble Googling up an information storm if that's what you're looking for :)

I have understood.Thank you! I benefit greatly from your reply.

I think that the sentence in question is only a minor point in the article. You could just understand it to mean that the transmitter and receiver were always aligned with each other.

What seems more interesting is the potential of 'Orbital Angular Momentum' to open up additional (theoretically unlimited) channels at each frequency. Currently, we can use two differently polarized signals on the same band without (much) interference. The promise of OAM is that it provides for even more independent transmission states. I am slightly skeptical, but an interesting area nonetheless.

An introductory article on the topic from Physics Today [ https://homepage.cem.itesm.mx/fdelgado/ciencia/cadi/ref11.pdf ]

Last edited:

I think that the sentence in question is only a minor point in the article. You could just understand it to mean that the transmitter and receiver were always aligned with each other.

What seems more interesting is the potential of 'Orbital Angular Momentum' to open up additional (theoretically unlimited) channels at each frequency. Currently, we can use two differently polarized signals on the same band without (much) interference. The promise of OAM is that it provides for even more independent transmission states. I am slightly skeptical, but an interesting area nonetheless.

Yes, the focus is OAM which is the another method to multiplex signal.It is a research hot point in recent years.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back