Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to set a short and open circuit in HFSS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouchy

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HFSS problem

Hi all,

deos any one know how to set a short and open circuit in HFSS

Thanks

Re: HFSS problem

Hi bouchy,

I've not been using HFSS since long time and so I'm not sure about it, but I think you could use lumped elements (HFSS -> Boundaries -> Assign -> LumpedRLC) and then set R=0 or R=∞.

Hope to have helped you,

Antonio.

Please state the problem you are trying to simulate.

Itai

hi,
If I get u right, U can assign the boundaries as (HFSS>ASSIGN>BOUNDARIES>PERFECT E) for a short circuit and(HFSS>ASSIGN>BOUNDARIES >PERFECT H) for an open circuit.
hope u get ur problem solved.
bye

but does it prove theorectically ?......I mean when we actually use the transmission line equation and find Z0, and gamma.....?

I tried connecting a known load impedance at the end of the microstrip line, then I caculated the short circuit impedance and open circuit impedance to obtain Z0. I calculated complex gamma.......but I am unable to obtain the same value of load impedance.....does anyone know what am i doing wrong?

hi,
If I get u right, U can assign the boundaries as (HFSS>ASSIGN>BOUNDARIES>PERFECT E) for a short circuit and(HFSS>ASSIGN>BOUNDARIES >PERFECT H) for an open circuit.
hope u get ur problem solved.
bye

Respected Sir

I, Prem Using HFSS-11 for Simulation and Working in UWB(Ultra Wide Band) Antenna I Want to calculate RCS for my Antenna, so I want to know the procedure for making the Setup for RCS, what I know I am wrightin here:
(1) I have to assign Incident Wave
(2) I have to Assign PML-Boundary Condition, in assigning the Boundary condition I am using Lemda/2 Box in All sides of Antenna of centre frequency of my antenna, so am I right or not
my dought is this
(1) as you have mention that I have to Assign Perfect E and perfect H for Short and Open, but Where I have to assign this Boundary.
(2)What is the procedure for Matched Load.
(3) How to calculate RCS in Antenna Mode and Structural Mode

How to calculate RCS in Time Domain and what should be the Operating Frequency in Time Domain because as I got in HFSS there the frequency range in time domain is smaller then Operating frequency.

I will be very Thankful to you.

Respected Sir

I, Prem Using HFSS-11 for Simulation and Working in UWB(Ultra Wide Band) Antenna I Want to calculate RCS for my Antenna, so I want to know the procedure for making the Setup for RCS, what I know I am wrightin here:
(1) I have to assign Incident Wave
(2) I have to Assign PML-Boundary Condition, in assigning the Boundary condition I am using Lemda/2 Box in All sides of Antenna of centre frequency of my antenna, so am I right or not
my dought is this
(1) as you have mention that I have to Assign Perfect E and perfect H for Short and Open, but Where I have to assign this Boundary.
(2)What is the procedure for Matched Load.
(3) How to calculate RCS in Antenna Mode and Structural Mode

How to calculate RCS in Time Domain and what should be the Operating Frequency in Time Domain because as I got in HFSS there the frequency range in time domain is smaller then Operating frequency.

I will be very Thankful to you.

Why do you want to know the RCS(Radar cross section) of your UWB antenna? RCS area is usually determined for the target object. Elaborate a bit more what you are trying to achieve....

I make A fractal Antenna For UWB Communication and if I will use it in Electronic Warfare as a Receiver then its RCS should Be low so I want to Compare my Antennas RCS to Simple Monopole So Can you tell Anything About that How can I calculate the Same.........

Hi,

In the attachment you will find step by step detail of setting up and calculating RCS in HFSS.

/SC

Attachments

• RCS.pdf
    333.2 KB · Views: 194

Hi,

In the attachment you will find step by step detail of setting up and calculating RCS in HFSS.

/SC

Thank You

Sweetchoto

But this PDF I have already I folowed the Given procedure but I don't know the procedure for Matched Load, terminated with 100 Ohm and with 150 Ohm. And how to calculate RCS of Structural Mode and Antenna Mode?

:cry:

Hi,

Well to be honest i still think that you dont have to calculate the RCS of your antenna. As you have said you will use your antenna in an electronic warfare application then your antenna alone will not be the target but the 'whole electronic circuit' will be. Thus,calculating RCS of your antenna alone and making assumptions on its basis will probably lead you to draw wrong conclusions. you have to draw your 'Target structure(Receiver end electronic completely not only antenna)' in HFSS and then calculate RCS following the guidelines given in above HFSS help document. This document has taken a simple case and target geometry and showed the basic guidelines to measure the RCS.

Why do you know need termination with 100 and 150 ohm???

/SC

If I don't Required Then why i will ask again and Again. I attached two IEEE Paper in that you can see that people have calculated RCS of UWB Antenna.
And I also want to do the same for my antenna.

who r you? are u student or professor.....
do you know the procedure or u r also trying to understand the things.......

Attachments

• Measurements of UWB Antennas Backscattering Characteristics for RFID Systems.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 75
  • Back Scatring CS.pdf
    329.2 KB · Views: 124

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back