Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to run DOS programs in PalmOS or PocketPC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
DOS emulator

I am sorry if this a wrong place to post this question.

Is there any way I can run a DOS program in PalmOS or PocketPC. The application is a small accounting database program developed under Foxpro for dos back in 1995.

thanks for any comments

Re: DOS emulator

Yes i have a cassiopea E500 PDA. And i have a dos emulator .. it works well in cga mode . and in text .. so if your app doesn't require VGA . it's ok .. Now i would like to give tou the link .. but my battery died .. I think that it shouldn't be hard to find on the net .. Let me do some search ..

DOS emulator

Thanks. I have an old Palm and wanted to upgrade to something that could also run some DOS applications. How doyou recommend the E500.

Does it run pocket pc operating system or Windows CE. By the ay, is thare any difference between the two.

Re: DOS emulator

i still like it but the cpu is only 150 mhz and some of the new ones are running at 300 and it shows .. i like better the win ce systems like mine. more than palms and other ..i purchase from MICROSOFT the visual studio CE is only like $20 or $30 bucks so i can make my own programs .But as a "HARDWARE GUY" you end up real quick trying to hook up stuff to it .. There is when the problem begins .. microsoft sell the PLATAFORM BUILDER for win CE for $3000 . And that's the only way to write drivers for new devices ... SO a big problem here .. The other thing missing i my PDA is a CF (compact flash interface ) .It really makes all the diference in the world ..You can add hundreds of things ..
So .. i thinl that i'll still will use it more like an organizer for a bit of time /
In the back of my mind i have a project to make a scope for a PDA .. but i will have to get a NEW MACHINE with a CF port !

cheers

DOS emulator

Is there any difference between WinCE and PocketPC OS. I ask this because some PDA vendors sell their products saying that it runs WinCE and some say it runs PocketPC OS. Also I want to know whether WinCE is similar in user IF to Win98 (etc). I want a PDA with 802.11 Wi-Fi and I want to know whether I can browse my office LAN with it.

I see a lot of PDAs with higher speeds and Memory than the E500 but almost the same price. Why is the E500 more expensive than the HP or other PocketPC models.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back