Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to remove USB COM Ports on WinXP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdhar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
com +ports +removal

Hi all,

I have a problem with USB to serial converters. Everytime I plug in a new board with a usb-serial converter on it, it allocates a new COM port number. The problem now is that COM1 through 4 on my laptop have been filled with these drivers. Even when the devices aren't plugged in, the COM ports are in use, meaning I have to use higher com port numbers. Some programs only can use COM1 through 4, but I don't know how to remove drivers that are sitting on these ports. Oh, this is in Windows XP. Any suggestions?

Jai

windows usb com ports

This is a problem with USB drivers and device description in usb device.

So even if you plugin the same device, windows at times allocate a new COM port number, instead of reusing the same.

you can change the COM port by opening the serial properties and change the COM number to some unused 1-4.

This should solve your issue.

Removal of USB COM Ports

I am aware that I can change the COM port, but what happens is that if I plug in multiple devices over time, they use up new COM ports and then the driver still remains on that COM port, saying it is in use. For example, if I have plugged in 4 devices in the past that I ahve selected from COM 1 to 4, those ports are no longer free, and I can't select them for another device to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back