Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to reduce total hormonic distortion in sin waves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkataganeshj

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
%THD reduction

how to reduce total hormonic distortion in sin waves .

Re: %THD reduction

This question is very open and general.
The keyword you are looking for is "Linearization Techniques"
This will of course depend on the circuit you are designing.

%THD reduction

use low pass filter

It depends what you really want:

1.) Are you trying to avoid too much distortion from the beginning ? In this case, as mentioned before, "Linearization Techniques" is the appropriate action.

2.) Or do you want to clean a sinusoidal signal which cannot be improved within its source ? In this case: LOWPASS !!

THD is improved using various filtering techniques (active or passive). Methods used are application specific.

LvW,
I agree with venkataganeshj. I would add one more comment to his answer #: If you use a bandpass filter with the center frequency equal to the sine wave frequency, then the output of the filter will not be phase shifted with respect to the input. However, the complexity of the filter will be greater for the same amount of harmonic attenuation.
Regards,
Kral

Added after 4 minutes:

Sorry! I got LvW's and venkataganeshj's names interchanged in my reply. Also, I meant to say "...answer #2".

Status
Not open for further replies.