Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to reduce step motor noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobakava

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lmd18245 resonances

I'm using 400 step/r step motor in my design. How can I reduce
mechanical noise in my system? Motor moves a platform in
vertical.

Is it possible to reduce noise in electronical way? May be giving
rounded pulses to motor??? any idea?

Can you share the design (circuit)? :eek:

Microstep the motor (requires a complicated control circuit) which reduces the stepsize.

Don't operate at a mechanical resonance, if possible.

Hi Sobakava,

there are several possibilities in reducing a stepper noise.
When the stepper is moving by simply switching on one phase then another and so on, you get a high torque ripple due to the principle of the stepper.
For applications with less ripple there exist ways to control the stepper by half, quater or microstep.
This means when normally only one coil of the stepper is active then in the other states there are most of the time two windings active. Each on only to a certain extend. The current from one winding is fade out while the current of another winding is fade in. The rotor of the stepper will there for not jump from one position to the next but smoothly turn there.
(Here is an example of a component for that)
**broken link removed**

The idea of "rounded pulses" is a bit complicated. When using linear control instead of PWM you will have a high power dissipation in the power section. (worse efficiency)

hope it helps,
Aoxomox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back