Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to reduce clock speed in Spartan 2e FPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usman

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Assalam o Alaikum to All!!!
i faced a simple problem while working on FPGA>>>i am using spartan2e FPGA & D2SB board, as u might know the clock speed of this FPGA is 50Mhz. i wanted to run a simple sequential component(JK FFP) on it, all the combinations of J&K input of JK Flip Flop works fine but when both input becomes 1 then output is not valid cause of high speed i don't see togling........so what should be done to see a clear togling on the output. in other words how to reduce the clock speed and use in my design....
regards,
Muhammad Usman

Re: reducing clock speed

you can very well type a module which counts the clock positive edge and producing your own clock signal.

reducing clock speed

usman, I don't understand "output is not valid". The flop should be outputting a 25 MHz square wave, clearly visible on almost any oscilloscope. What do you see instead?

reducing clock speed

Hi,
hope u r trying to watch the output of the FlipFlops on the LEDs. ur eyes can't work that fast. try to c that in a scope or try to reduce the speed of ur Clk, so that u can see the toggling on the Leds itself. Use a 26 bit counter and give it's MSB bit to clock ur J&K. The u should be able to see the LEDs toggling at 1sec.

Re: reducing clock speed

Dear echo!!
i mean from my statement"output is not valid", is that i can't see my output toggling, rather the output is dim on....as i am using LED for the output. i know that the frequency is much higher so i can't see clearly,,,but i want to know how to reduce the speed of blinking so that i see the output(LED) togling very clearly,,,,,
i am toggling the output on positive edge of clock in my code for FFP.

kind regards,
Muhammad Usman

reducing clock speed

Ok, an LED at 25 MHz would be a problem.

Here is a small Verilog module that divides the 50 MHz clock by 2^24 to generate a 3 Hz enable signal, and then uses it to toggle a flop. This is fully synchronous.

Code:
module top (clk, out);
  `define CBITS 24                  // 50 MHz divided by 2^24 gives about 3 Hz
  input                 clk;
  reg      [`CBITS-1:0] cnt=0;      // counter
  reg                   slow=0;     // slow pulses
  output reg            out=0;

always @ (posedge clk) begin
    cnt <= cnt + 1;
    slow <= (cnt == 0);             // one pulse per cnt cycle
    if (slow) begin
      out <= ~out;                  // toggle the output
    end
  end
endmodule

Here's a non-synchronous method. It generates a new buffered slow clock:

Code:
module top (clk, out);
  `define CBITS 24                  // 50 MHz divided by 2^24 gives about 3 Hz
  input                 clk;        // fast input clock
  reg      [`CBITS-1:0] cnt=0;      // fast clock divider
  wire                  slowclk;    // slow clock
  output reg            out=0;

always @ (posedge clk) begin      // generate the slow clock
    cnt <= cnt + 1;
  end

BUFG buf1 (.I(cnt[`CBITS-1]), .O(slowclk)); // buffer the slow clock

always @ (posedge slowclk) begin
    out <= ~out;                    // toggle the output
  end
endmodule

I tried those with Spartan-3 using ISE 8.1.01i. I don't have Spartan-IIE stuff installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.