How to read 16 data bits through PIC Usart??

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan007

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello..
I'am using a module that outputs 16 bits of data that i want to read using my PIC...
Functions to read and write data to USART module of PIC reads/writes one byte(i.e, 8 bits) of data at a time...
Can i read all these 16 bits in one go?.(I dont want any my data bits to be counted as stop bits..)
I'am using MikroC compiler....

Thanks in advance..

I don't THINK (could be wrong) you can use the USART for 16 bits. But you could use a general purpose pin and write your own interface routine-it's not that hard. What's the coding for your sixteen bits? Do you have stop and start bits?

I haven't written the program yet.I found that the usrt_read() function of mikroc read incoming serial data as bytes(i.e,8 bits)
The module that I'am using is..
**broken link removed**

That data sheet has about as much information as a box of rocks. It looks like it outputs data as 'normal' 8-bit data. (i.e. 1 stop bit+8data+???) Does it have parity? How many stop bits?

So my guess would be that 16 bit data is sent as two 8-bit messages. Maybe you can just hook up the output to an oscilloscope and take a peek at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…