Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to protect my system from ESD air discharge test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myatham

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
How to protect my system from ESD Air Discharge test? What are the different options to protect my system from Air Discharge of 8KV?
Please help me on this

Hi for air discharge,the lowest cost solution is to enlarge the distance between PCBA and housing.
If above impossible,it's better to add pF capacitor parallel with key signal ,such as reset,clk ,etc.

Hi;
You can use a zener diode from signal to ground to limit the ESD spike.
If you can give your schematic, more people can comment on it, i think.
Good luck.

I am talking about air discharge.. Where can we add protection diodes? I need to design my board immune to +-8KV.

As i said, from the signal which you think effecting your system to gnd. And also use a parallel small cap as snail888 advise. You can consider an inline ferrite bead on that signali may be.
If it is already ground signal which ESD is applied, you might need to modify your PCB so that cut the direct connection of that ground to your system.
Have look at **broken link removed** also.
Unfortunately ESD is chaotic problem, you need to spend time and play with it...
Good luck

Hi,could you attach your schematic circuitry?

Hi;
Check below, apply something similiar to figure 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.